Wednesday, February 20, 2013


Sustainable Agriculture:

I was egregiously mistaken when I said the other night that everyone in a hundred souls on this island is a celebrity. The truth is everyone on this island is so profound, paint nor pen may depict it.

I was warmed up by a goodbye drink with the Slovakians when I met a farmer. One of three or four on the island. I confessed my devotion to permaculture and he proceeded to pull out of his pocket a a beautiful cacao pod and the largest lime ever produced. Had this been India I might have prostrated myself at his feet and begged me to show me “the way”. I have been weak, I have been lame. I have sought pleasure in the stead of work. I will soon visit his farm and hopefully return to the path.
Prices (converted to USD):

A sweet pink grapefruit will cost .20
An avocado .50
A baleada or a fresh made greasy pastelito (the equivalent of fast food) between .50 and $1.50
A beer at a bar $1.50
A case of beer, from Archie, coming to .85 a beer.
A bottle of nice Nicaraguan rum, 750ml $7.
A coconut, $1, or free depending on your machete skills.
A movie, $2 and varying levels of sweat.
A book from the “library” $5, or trade.
A tank top and 4 shots of Giffitti, $10
A boat to Roatan $50
My  giant delicious homemade conglomeration, which can last a grown man five nights (A full pot of beans, rice, carrots, peppers, onions, tomatoes, three heads of garlic and vast amounts of curry.  $1.75

No comments:

Post a Comment