Monday, February 11, 2013


The 8th

Todays dives were by far the most fun. The first one, we took the offshore passage to the north side to do some whale shark hunting, all of us sitting on top of the wheelhouse staring at the horizon. Nothing. At the Pinnacle the lot of us looked down upon the shear wall into the abyss. We floated down like skydivers in slow motion. At the bottom there was a swim through cave, when I went in I got some narcosis, the perfect amount. I came out the other side laughing and clapping like a drooling sea monkey. I took some skin off my knuckles going through the cloudy darkness and the only thought I had was “woah, I hope there’s a scientific reason my blood is green”.

The best thing to do underwater is laugh, this is so because you start to wonder if the laughing is making any noise and if it does, does anyone hear you, and if they do, do they know it’s laughing, or is the laughing only happening in your head and you are perpetrating an imaginary act in your head to correspond to what you believe should be happening. And all these thoughts just make you laugh more.

In any case I could’t stop laughing. We came upon a Nurse shark on the second dive. You had to sneak into a crevice to see it and you passed a small moray on the way out. “Yikes” I thought as my face swung by. But then out of nowhere a monstrous moray comes swimming from out of nowhere. It goes into the sharks den and slams right into it. It comes out all riled up and starts going for everyones fins and trying to munch on the camera lens. After some action it would swim away and they’d be feeding he shark a lionfish they had speared when all of a sudden the moray is back for blood, swimming through your legs, all the while making the “num num num” face. I depleted a good quarter of tank in laughter.

The following link goes to the video. Courtesy of Shaun.

No comments:

Post a Comment